Having grown up surrounded by a love for the outdoors, university has given me the tools I need to lead in its protection. The following segments make up my portfolio for the Leadership in Environmental Sustainability Credit. I will highlight the courses, clubs and jobs I’ve had through the last four years that have helped focus my sustainable education.

Employment-Related Activity – Green Jobs

For the last 4 summers I have and the great pleasure of being a river guide. I have gotten to meet countless people and share the excitement, beauty, and importance of nature.  I’ve used my platform to create intimate dialogue within my raft about the effect of humanity’s actions on the area. The last two summers I’ve spent with Canadian Outback have highlighted this connection between humans and the environment as we rely on glaciers to feed out rivers.

Recently, I have picked up a second job with a small First Nation, my work allows me to create outdoor recreation programming for youth and I hope to continue to evoke environmental sentiment within others.

Environmental Or Social Organizations

I have both been a guide for and the Vice President of TRU’s AdventureU Club. The club is a social organization that focusses on introducing students to the outdoors and empowering the student body to design their own adventures. As Vice President, I was responsible for shaping the direction of the club and ensuring we continued to operate with triple-bottom-line principles in mind.

Courses In Environmental Sustainability

I have completed the following courses in Environmental Sustainability.

ADVG 1020 – Wilderness Travel

ADVG 2010 – The Natural Environment

ADVG 1010 – The Adventure Tourism Industry

ADVG 2830 – International Expedition Planning and Leadership

GEOG 3100 – Environment, Resources, and Sustainability

TMGT 4040 – Tourism and Sustainability

My Thesis (Giveback Piece)

The following is a link to my thesis, which I successfully defended on April 29th, 2020. I focussed on environmental motivation and business practices within the commercial rafting operations of BC. After the pandemic this will be signed, printed, and bound. A copy will be available in TRU’s library.

Environmental Practices In BC’s Rafting Industry – Chris Marr-Laing

Reflective Essay

Reflective Essay