Consider Anielski’s idea of the Genuine Wealth Model and then think about your own life.  What does your flower look like currently, and why?

Financial Capital – My financial petal is unfolding. I currently I have little disposable income but as I go through university my financial capital grows. I have invested my student loans and they now generate more then I will have to pay in interest. This once small seed is growing thanks to the capitalism I so often critique. I was born with the privilege of a financial education and the ability to access capital early. I find it interesting that both capitalism and government assistance help me succeed through student loans, scholarships and a relatively loose regulation around leveraging money.

Social Capital – At this stage of my life I feel this petal is vibrant and strong. My current group of close friends are outgoing, unique and provide me with a myriad amazing experience. I find them emotionally intelligent and full of life. Those I live with provide constant laughter, a sense of home and comfort in being able to be myself. Lastly, my girlfriend of a year provides me with depth of emotion I have not felt before. I feel that I go through life with a marvelous companion and she adds to the intensity of ability to love.

Natural Capital – I have made a multitude of decisions around building this capital. Moving to BC has deeply transformed my life for the better, I soak in the natural beauty of this province and feel it fill my soul. My degree in environment and tourism reflects the importance of this petal for me. My parents are both environmentalist and have always found value in growing this petal.

Human Capital – At 22 the human capital is a large and rapidly growing one. My body continues to deliver on demand and my emotions have yet suffer the blows of loss. University challenges my mind, skills and sense of self. I’ve not added a border to this petal as I continue to push the boundaries of my human capital.

Built Capital – As a Canadian I have inherited incredible built capital. The society I am a part of allows me to realize my full potential through health care, financial assistance, ability to eat well and stay fit. The technology created around adventure sport has allowed me to experience more challenging rivers and ski terrain than generations before me. With the basics covered by society I feel like I am able to focus on becoming the greatest version of myself.

Luck and Gratitude Capital – My flower is centered by a core feeling of luck and gratitude. This capital is unquantifiable. I feel that I have been incredibly lucky in every aspect of my life. I’ve have had my DNA coded and found that my genetic make increases the presence of serotonin.  This gratitude for life has made the difficult times seem insignificant and I feel this was my greatest gift. The ability to feel wealthy regardless of real wealth is peace.