Imagine a tourism world that runs completely—and I mean completely—on neoliberal principles.  What would such a world look like?  Compare and contrast that imaginary world with the real tourism world you observe around you.  Now consider courses you’ve taken in your tourism program and think about what you’ve learned regarding good tourism development and management practice.  In what ways do these lessons support and/or challenge a neoliberal vision of tourism?

(Visual representation of us being doomed by neoliberalism)

When I think of a neoliberal world, I immediately feel dread for the land. The tragedy of the commons would quickly see the fragile places I love destroyed. Corporate greed would allow for the destruction of adventure tourism in favor for resource extraction. With the land destroyed, markets would open for constructed biospheres in which people could pay to breath clean air again and experience flora and fauna. Tourism operations would grow to all encompassing giants like Coca-Cola and the money generated would fall into fewer and fewer hands. The consumer may choose more ethically based tourism but in a world of exponential corporate growth who to say large companies wouldn’t control both the media and scientific worlds. I believe as long as humans had the desire to explore tourism would exist but in very utilitarian way. The consumer would decide which cultures ancient survived and which died with fads.

Most days I feel this world has already slipped into a dystopic form of neoliberalism. TRU a place of virtuous learning has swayed under the pressures of Aramark, an ethically detrimental jail house giant. Tourism and particularly the adventure tourism I hold dear continues, fight against this neoliberal encroachment. I will speak to adventure tourism only. I see and industry comprised of small players who throw there lives into lightly profitable business for the sake of sharing and lifestyle. Yes the have commodified nature. But I know several looking to sell but refusing to give it to anyone they can not instill there own values into. My degree recognizes the neoliberal influences in adv tourism as I hope to regulate my own rafting sector, forcing environmental concern. However, for the sake of public safety, I believe the government is increasing regulations on adv tourism and reducing neoliberalism in this industry.

The lesson that sticks out to me in my education is the notion that in tourism, operators must talk to each other to and collaborative put in place best practices to avoid the strong hand of the government. From a tourism business perspective the gov is often seen as uneducated and against the interest of the operator. I believe this mindset encourages neoliberal or market control. I believe those who complain about the government would add great value to the public sector but in this neo liberal money talks world it is easy to remain private.