What am I studying?

I find the relationship between whitewater enthusiasts and the river environment incredible. I want to know if commercial operators, and the community they generate, benefit the environment they rely on to recreate and work.

Why I think it’s an important subject.

This topic is incredibly important and pertinent today. Global warming becomes an increasingly influential factor in both the adventure tourism and all aspects of life. The success of adventure tourism relies directly on winters being snowy and cold for the maintenance of glaciers, ski terrain, and for the required melts to support commercial rafting. If we don’t start analysing our impact on the environments in which we recreate and operate we will soon lose them. I think that the social science side to environmentalism is fascinating as I do not believe there is a more complex side to any problem than the human aspect. Through my research I hope to explore the practices already adopted by the industry and gain insight in to what sustainability means in the river industry. Another side which I hope to develop in pursuit of my thesis is a look at the communities that develop around river operations. I believe that I will find a direct link between the opportunity for people to work on the river and a strong recreational paddling community. This community due to size has a large impact on the treatment of the river. I have been a part of several kayaking crews with varying ideas towards infrastructure development, leave no trace ethics and user group interactions. I aim to explore a larger sample size across the province and come up with evidence of their impact on the environment.

What lead to my interest in river protection.

For me there is a feeling that overcomes me when I’m on the river. In the sections between rapids I can’t help but feel a powerful connection to my surroundings. I become acutely aware of each layer of rock in the canyons; built up over millions of years while simultaneously being eroded by water. Our nation was colonised through the use of rivers and these paths across the country dictate the locations of towns and other, non-human, life. Rivers are our opportunity to look into the past and watch first hand as the future is formed.

When my sister and I were just infants my parents started paddling the North Saskatchewan from it’s source in the Rocky Mountains. Over portions of the next eight summers we paddled the entire length of the N. Saskatchewan to the Saskatchewan river until it reached Lake Winnipeg. This multi-year trip became a standard for how summers were spent. I now raft guide 60+ days a summer, whitewater kayak 10 months a year chasing new rivers internationally and still try to canoe with the family as the schedule allows. This love of the river only grows and I think it natural to want try and incorporate it into my studies. I have an invested interest in seeing these incredible environments stick around for generations.  Another influence towards this path of river protection would be the work my parents do as environmentalists. While historically they have focussed on air quality issues and policy reform, I think the dinner conversations about the state of the world and the need to protect it, has shaped who I am today. Both parents formed careers seeped in ethical consciousness and, while financial success found it’s way into our family’s life, the importance of working in areas that will impact the world positively was stressed over financial gain.

Since leaving home my life has revolved around the pursuit of adventure. I surround myself with dreamers who discard the reification of money, security and conventional success. These “dirtbags” use the wilderness to connect with truer versions of themselves. We pursue isolation in wilderness similar the actions of Thoreau at Walden Pond. This postmodern take on transcendentalism has given me incredible purpose and confidence. The river has taught me the most valuable lessons. No environment gives such swift and direct feedback to one’s actions. Confidence is rewarded while overconfidence comes with a hefty price. An accident on the river in middle school left me with PSTD for months, since then, not only have I worked through nightmares and fear but, I have reached a point of empowerment and passion. I would not be the person am today if it weren’t for trials on the river. I am incredibly privileged to spend so much of my time in the wild. With this privilege comes the responsibility to protect these spaces for the future generations. I believe that if everyone had opportunity to face challenges in the wild, we would have a society that did not focus so much on small digressions that inhibit progress.