Choose an object from everyday life (one that you can bring to class for show and tell) that you haven’t spent much time reflecting on the creation of.  First, describe this item or place a photo or sketch of it in your journal.  Next, reflect on the following questions: What is this item’s purpose?  What contribution does it make to the world?  Can you find any information about when and where it was invented and where this particular version of it was made?  What knowledges, skills, human labor, and material resources were necessary to create it?

I’ve selected my x-country skis. These skis are purely a recreation device today, but 6,000 to 10,000 skis were used by Scandinavian countries, of which I descend, for hunting. These skis have had a huge impact on the northern countries for thousands of years as they make speedy winter travel possible. In the second World War skis helped Norwegian freedom fighters wage guerrilla warfare on the occupying Nazi forces. My ski brand, Fischer, originated in Austria in 1938, for years they have been a top name in racing. Mine were constructed in 2012 and use a carbon and light woods instead of historically heavy solid woods. Modern materials and technology allow for the insides of my skis to be mostly air and flex to my weight perfectly. Human knowledge and science have allowed me to choose waxes based on temperature, age of snow and humidity to compliment my performance. These skis are no longer made completely by hand but use machines which are also the result of human knowledge and labor. I could not find where the materials were sourced. This item that once was a locally made staple to survival has become a luxury item that takes international human effort to produce. My childhood of skiing was built upon by generations of skiers before me.